Hey there, sweet tooth, Vegan Chickpea Brownies are here! Super fudgy and gluten-free, these dairy-free, chocolate brownies are the ultimate vegan treat. Made with nutrient-dense chickpeas, these brownies are not only delicious but also pack in some serious health benefits. Plus, they’re easy to make and perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without compromising on taste or nutrition. So grab your apron and get ready to indulge in some guilt-free treats!
Why you need to try these incredible Vegan Chickpea Brownies
If you’re into healthy baking, I’m sure you’ve noticed that there are a number of ways to make healthy chocolate brownies. After making Chickpea Flour Brownies, I knew that reaching for a can of garbanzo beans would be good. But I had no idea how good this chickpea pastry would be!
These chickpea brownies are simply the perfect guilt-free indulgence. I keep them in freezer so I have them handy for hikes and day trips. Friends and family also love these chocolate brownies. In fact, I usually double the recipe because this chickpea-powered dessert vanishes so quickly.
For something totally new, try rich and creamy Eggplant Brownies.
Vegan Chickpea Brownies are healthy & delicious
Here’s why these naturally gluten-free chickpea brownies are my new go-to recipe whenever I’m craving a healthy, delicious chocolate snack or dessert:
Over 8 grams of PLANT-BASED PROTEIN per serving
Less than one gram of saturated fat per serving
No processed ingredients
High in FIBER
Lots of IRON and POTASSIUM
SUGAR FREE if you opt to make this chickpea dessert with a sugar-free sweetener
The bottom line: Vegan chickpea brownies are a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional brownies. They are rich in fiber, protein, and other essential nutrients, making them a guilt-free treat that can be enjoyed anytime. With simple ingredients and easy preparation, these garbanzo bean brownies are perfect for those who want to indulge in something sweet without compromising their health or ethical beliefs. Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle or not, give these chickpea brownies a try and discover just how tasty and satisfying they can be!
Or try golden yellow Chickpea Flour Pie Crust.
Ingredients in these mouthwatering, grain-free Vegan Chickpea Brownies
THE ULTIMATE BROWNIE BATTER
CHICKPEAS – 1 can of chickpea/garbanzo beans. If you are wondering why chickpeas are a good ingredient for brownies, they are high in protein, fiber and starch which is known to improve the texture of baked goods. The result: super fudgy chocolate brownies. Moreover, chickpea brownies are nutritious, have fewer calories and a lot less saturated fat than regular brownies.
COCOA POWDER – unsweetened. If you want to make dark chocolate chickpea brownies, use half regular cocoa powder and half Dutched cocoa powder. The recipe also tastes great if you simply make it with regular cocoa powder.
GRANULATED SWEETENER OF CHOICE – Sugar or your preferred sweetener. For fewer calories, opt for a sugar-free sweetener.
ALMOND OR ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – I love making this chickpea dessert with fine, blanched almond flour which is much more nutritious than all-purpose flour. But all-purpose flour also works in this recipe.
OIL – adds to the brownies’ moisture. Avocado oil is my go-to oil because it’s a little healthier than most oils, but vegetable or canola oil also work. As for coconut oil, it works too, but it’s important to bear in mind that it is very high in saturated fat which can raise your bad cholesterol. The recipe, however, only contains 3 tablespoons of oil.
DAIRY-FREE MILK OF CHOICE – To keep the calories down, opt for unsweetened almond milk.
VANILLA EXTRACT – enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
BAKING POWDER – add some rise to this veggie dessert.
BAKING SODA – also adds boost.
SALT – just a smidgen.
CHOCOLATE-AVOCADO FROSTING – Vegan Chickpea Brownies are soft and fudgy to begin with. So topping them with creamy, dairy-free Chocolate-Avocado Frosting makes them more gooey than ever. Half a recipe of this vegan frosting, i.e., 1 avocado suffices for frosting the brownies. But if you make the entire low-carb Chocolate-Avocado Frosting recipe, you can freeze any leftover chocolate frosting or enjoy this low-calorie, plant-based treat on its own as naturally dairy-free, keto, vegan chocolate-avocado mousse.
How to make perfectly moist and fudgy Vegan Chickpea Brownies
These grain-free, vegan chickpea brownies are really easy to make, since all you do is combine the ingredients. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a blender or hand-held emulsifier. So, all you do is mix the ingredients and bake. You’ll find the full instructions with measurements below in the Recipe Card, but here’s an overview.
- First, preheat oven to 350F.
- Then, line the bottom of a square 7-or-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray the sides with baking spray.
- Now, purée the chickpeas in a food processor or with an emulsion blender.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Once it’s smooth and creamy, pour brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once they’re out of the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes before flipping and removing the pan.
- Then, let them fully cool before frosting or decorating.
Trending now: mouthwatering Sweet Potato Brownies.
Healthy toppings for Vegan Garbanzo Bean Brownies
These vegan brownies don’t even need frosting. They’re delicious on their own, but here are some topping ideas if you want this flourless chocolate dessert to be an absolute standout on the table:
- Frost with Vegan Chocolate-Avocado Frosting: Keep these garbanzo bean brownies healthy with this rich and creamy chocolate frosting. No one will know that heart-healthy avocado is the secret ingredient.
- Want to make a plant-based dark chocolate frosting? Try Vegan Dark Chocolate Frosting made with Dutched cocoa powder.
- Not vegan? Try my velvety cream cheese Avocado Frosting Recipe.
- Sprinkle your favorite chocolate chips on the frosting: dark, semi-sweet, milk chocolate or white chocolate. They all taste great on these vegan brownies. Want to keep the calories down? Pick up some sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Crown with jewel-toned raspberries or your favorite berry: Berries are a great, healthy, low-carb brownie topping. They also add a pop of color.
- Add a scoop of your favorite dairy-free ice cream: Vanilla, butter pecan or your favorite ice cream flavor adds decadence to this chickpea dessert. For fewer calories, opt for sugar-free or reduced-sugar ice cream.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce: Take it even further and top your chickpea brownies with chocolate sauce or a melted chocolate bar.
- Sprinkles: Turn these vegan brownies into eye candy and top with colorful sprinkles. If you’re calorie conscious, you’ll even find sugar-free sprinkles these days.
- Pretzels: Top with crushed pretzels for the ultimate sweet and salty vegan treat.
- Nuts: Sprinkle walnuts, almonds, pecans or your favorite nut on these garbanzo bean brownies.
- Frost with your favorite nut butter: If you add a nut butter, don’t forget your favorite berries for the ultimate ooey-gooey, chocolate, nut butter, berry treat.
FAQs about Vegan Chickpea Brownies
For scrumptious dark chocolate chickpea brownies, use half regular cocoa powder and half Dutched cocoa powder. You will find this option in the Recipe Card below.
When you purée chickpeas and combine them with cocoa powder and the remaining ingredients in this flourless brownie recipe, the flavor of chickpeas fully vanishes.
When a knife or toothpick comes out clean, your garbanzo bean brownies are done.
Yes, one serving has over 8 grams of protein, is high in fiber, has zero cholesterol, and less than one gram of saturated fat. Moreover, you’ll find the full nutrition facts below in the Recipe Card.
Definitely not, since the cocoa powder fully overrides the flavor of chickpeas in this vegan chocolate brownie recipe.
Equipment needed to make perfect Vegan Chickpea Brownies
- 1 square 7 or 8 inch pan – Be sure to line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the sides with baking spray.
- Parchment paper – to line the bottom of the pan.
- 1 large mixing bowl – to mix the brownie ingredients.
- 1 food processor or hand-held emulsion blender – to purée the chickpeas and mix the brownie ingredients, so your chickpea brownies are smooth and soft.
How to store this healthy chickpea dessert
Place these grain-free chocolate brownies in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to one week. They are a great snack and taste great all week.
Can I freeze Vegan Chickpea Brownies?
Yes, definitely. Just put your Vegan Chickpea Brownies in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. I recommend doing this, so you have some of these luscious chickpea brownies handy for a snack or excursion.
DID YOU MAKE THIS VEGAN CHICKPEA BROWNIE RECIPE?
I’d love to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment/star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. And, of course, be sure to tag me on Instagram as I love seeing photos of the recipes you’ve made.
Vegan Chickpea Brownies
- 1 Food Processor or Emulsion Blender
- 1 Square 7 or 8 Inch Baking Pan
- parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan.
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder (i.e., Dutched Cocoa Powder) or use 3 more tablespoons of regular cocoa powder.
- ½ cup Granulated Sweetener of Choice
- ⅓ cup Almond Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Oil I use avocado oil.
- 4 Tablespoons Milk of Choice I use unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Optional Frosting & Topping
- ½ recipe Chocolate-Avocado Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- Line a square 7 or 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Puree the chickpeas in food processor or with emulsion blender.
- Combine the pureed chickpeas with the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 300 F for 15 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes before flipping and removing the pan.
Optional Chocolate-Avocado Frosting & Topping
- While the chickpea brownies cool, make the Chocolate-Avocado Frosting Recipe.
- When the brownies are cool, frost them.
- Top with chocolate chips, if desired. For other topping options, see the post.